Everyone experiences pain. But whether from an injury or disease as we age, pain can be debilitating and limit our freedom. The search to find a natural remedy without side-effects to reduce pain and inflammation associated with certain conditions resulted in the discovery of Serrapeptase. Serrapeptase has been safely used in Europe for over 40 years and was first introduced into the Canadian market back in 2004 by Enerex Botanicals, based in Port Coquitlam, BC.
What is Serrapeptase?
Serrapeptase is a natural enzyme that effectively reduces pain, inflammation, as well as mucous build-up. Whether symptoms stem from injury, surgery, or disease such as arthritis or sinusitis, its action disrupts pain pathways and restores your body’s persistent inflammatory response to reduce swelling and improve circulation. Serrapeptase is a proven safe and effective anti-inflammatory and pain blocker similar to NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs such as aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen) but without the harmful stomach effects.
Enerex Serrapeptase is derived from controlled fermentation of a strain of healthy bacteria called Serratia marcescens sp. E-15. It is not produced from silkworms. Serrapeptase is a type of enzyme that is transported directly from your intestines into your bloodstream, and therefore after taking a capsule it is delivered to the problem areas in your body quickly. Enerex uses a DRcap (Delayed Release capsule), free from chemicals and solvents that better masks odours and tastes, minimizing the risk of reflux. This allows the Serrapeptase to pass through the stomach to the small intestine where the enzyme is then released. For optimal results Serrapeptase should be taken on an empty stomach.
How does it work?
Serrapeptase is a natural proteolytic enzyme which helps to break down certain kinds of proteins, one in particular bradykinin, produced in our body that creates inflammation, pain, and other harmful issues. Reducing inflammation helps support the immune system making it less stressed and overworked. As an enzyme, Serrapeptase also works to breakdown mucous that our body produces during inflammation or as a means of protection from infection or disease. Serrapeptase works to break down mucus, which is protein based and helps us to get well again.
Serrapeptase, has benefited thousands of consumers. In particular, it has proven itself to be beneficial in the following situations:
- Arthritis, joint pain, muscle pain, sport injuries, carpal tunnel syndrome
- Reduces swelling and inflammation and as a result helps improve circulation
- Provides a natural alternative to NSAIDs such as ibuprofen Helps with sinus congestion and sinusitis
- Relieves swelling and pain from dental surgery
- Reduces mucus and is beneficial for sinus, ear, nose and throat congestion and infection Great for inflammation from sports injuries and trauma.
Did you know about the packaging?
Why should you care about Enerex Serrapeptase’s bottle? Because this packaging protects the product and the planet. Enerex products are housed in recyclable BPA-free PETE plastic containers to provide the best protection against oxidation, moisture, sunlight, and “chemical migration” from container to product (so the supplements don’t acquire toxins from the plastic). In all of these areas, PETE is virtually equal to that of glass but without the larger environmental footprint left by glass packaging (it’s very heavy to transport, using more fossil fuel). PETE plastic is far superior to that of HDPE plastic: HDPE plastic is used for the majority of products on the market, but unlike more costly PETE bottles, HDPE plastic starts to immediately degrade the product inside because it doesn’t provide a protective barrier to oxygen or moisture. Studies show high concentrations of chemicals that have migrated from HDPE bottles to the product inside compared to PETE and glass bottles. References for Serrapeptase
- Al-Khateeb TH and Nusair Y. Effect of the proteolytic enzyme serrapeptase on swelling, pain and trismus after surgical extraction of mandibular third molars. International Jounal of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery 2008;37:264-268.
- Balaji SM. Textbook of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. Elsevier India; 2007.
- Bhagat S, Agarwal M and Roy V. Serratiopeptidase: A systemic review of the existing evidence. International Journal of Surgery 2013;11(3):209-217
- Chopra D, Rehan HS, Mehra P, et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study comparing the efficacy and safety of paracetamol, serratiopeptidase, ibuprofen and betamethasone using the dental impaction pain model. International Journal of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery 2009;38:350-355.
- Majima Y, Inagaki M, Hirata K, et al. The effect of an orally administered proteolytic enzyme on the elasticity and viscosity of nasal mucus. Archives of Oto-rhino-laryngology 1988;244:355-359.
- Majima Y, Hirata K, Takeuchi K et al. Effects of orally administered drugs on dynamic viscoelasticity of human nasal mucus. The American Review of Respiratory Disease 1990;141(1):79-83.
- Martindale 2011: Sweetman SC, editor. 2011. Martindale: The Complete Drug Reference. London (GB): Pharmaceutical Press. [Serrapeptase: CAS 37312-62-2; 95077-02-4, latest modification: 2011 October 10; Accessed 2013 December 18].
- Mazzone A, Catalani M, Costanzo M, et al. Evaluation of serratia peptidase in acute or chronic inflammation of otorhinolaryngology pathology: a multicentre, double-blind, randomized trial versus placebo. Journal of International Medical Research 1990;18:379-388.
- Nakamura S, Hashimoto Y, Mikami M, Yamanaka E, Soma T, Hino M, Azuma A, Kudoh S. Effect of the proteolytic enzyme serrapeptase in patients with chronic airway disease. Respirology 2003 Sep;8(3):316-20.
- Tachibana M, Mizukoshi O, Harada Y, et al. A multi-centre, double-blind study of serrapeptase versus placebo in post-antrotomy buccal swelling. Pharmatherapeutica 1984;3(8):526-530.