Healthy Comfort Food: Vegan Mac N’ Cheese Recipe
You know how the saying goes: “when something seems too good to be true, it usually is.” Well, we’re going to have to disagree with such a statement when it comes to this delicious, nutrient-dense vegan mac n’ cheese recipe. This vegan mac n’ cheese recipe is sure to please your taste buds and your cells. Besides, who says comfort food can’t offer liver support, promote digestive health and help balance hormones while tasting irresistible, anyways? Don’t take our word for it. Give it a try yourself!
Vegan Mac N’ Cheese Recipe
Ingredients: For the “Cheese”:
- 2 small steamed yams (leave the skin on if organic, remove skin if not)
- 1 cup unsweetened, light coconut milk
- juice of ½ a small lemon
- 2 tbsp hulled Organic Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 cup Purely Bulk Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- 1 tsp Celtic Sea Light Grey Sea Salt
- black pepper to taste
- optional: 1 teaspoon chili flakes, green onions to top, extra garlic or ground flax or ground chia seeds for a protein boost.
For the Macaroni: We recommend Go-Go Quinoa Organic Macaroni Noodles but you can use any type of fiber-rich pasta such as brown rice, kamut or even zucchini noodles.
1. Dice your sweet potatoes in chunks and steam until they’re fork tender. (Don’t forget to peel the skin off if they aren’t organic.
2.Place your pasta of choice in water and bring to a boil. Cook until al dente, strain and rinse. Set aside.
3. Place steamed sweet potatoes in your blender or food processor along with your coconut milk, garlic, lemon juice, raw orange pepper, nutritional yeast, sea salt, black pepper, sea salt and sesame seeds.
4. Blend until smooth.
5. If you find the sauce to be too thick, simply add a splash of coconut milk until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
6. Serve hot. This sauce makes excellent leftovers and will keep in the fridge in an airtight glass container for 3 days.Enjoy!